Below are records of recent sales of clad layer split-off mint errors on eBay from 4/1/09 to 6/30/09.
1. ALL LOTS HAD BUYERS. IF THE COINS ACTUALLY CHANGED HANDS IS UNKNOWN.
2. A PICTURE ACCOMPANIED EACH LOT OR IT WAS NOT RECOGNIZED.
3. BLURRY PICTURES OR OTHER PROBLEMS ARE NOTATED UNDER “OBSERVATION”.
4. ITEMS MISLABELLED COMMANDED A SMALL PREMIUM.
5. SOME LOTS CHANGED HANDS MORE THAN ONCE.
6. ANY SCRATCHES, DENTS OR DEFECTS NOTATED WERE EITHER IN THE DESCRIPTION OR GRADING SERVICES’ HOLDERS.
7. AUCTION HOUSES THAT LISTED THESE ERRORS WERE IGNORED.
8. SHIPPING CHARGES ARE NOT INCLUDED.
“Clad layers off” are very popular due to the Statehood Quarter issues. There are a few collectors trying to complete a type set of obverse and reverse. This inflates the market on a temporary basis. Once the hole in their collection is filled, additional examples sell for way less. If the coin shows a red copper color, it will bring a very high price compared to a brown color. Buyers on eBay must be careful when trying to purchase these by viewing the scans only. Some pictures have been doctored and the sellers do not grade or describe these coins. Therefore, the info listed below may not be 100% accurate. The buyers must ask questions prior to bidding (e.g. What is the weight?).